Monday, August 30, 2010

Tender Mercies

With Matt being on call over the weekend, we were still able to spend most of the day with him on Saturday (because he was able to sleep for 4 hours during the night at the hospital. He was doing a 26-ish? hour shift). So, that was a surprise and we were so happy. I happened to feel like garbage most of the day, cramping, contractions, headaches, etc. and he gave me a break by cooking me lunch and letting me veg and nap on the couch, it was awesome-seriously. But, with this pregnancy I can't stand not doing much. I feel like I always need to be getting something done. I was determined to mow my way into labor (going against Matt's advice, of course)...but that didn't work. I stressed about church the next day, because I knew Matt would be gone from about 5am to 7pm and Luke is not always very fun at church.

Sunday rolled around and at first I was quite nervous, but was feeling much better than I had the day before. I woke up, made breakfast, worked on some little crafty/games for him to do at church (thank you for all the great responses by the way, I got some great ideas!) and we headed off in the Bob (even though I felt silly, with my full term belly, pushing a huge, double stroller-which is amazing by the way) a few blocks away to go to ward choir practice. I was a little nervous about leaving my stroller outside their door (they live on a semi-busy corner), but I thought "if I'm making all this effort to go to choir at 9am on Sunday morning and dragging my two-year-old with me, no one will steal my stroller!" I had faith. And on top of that, two kids from the ward showed up and entertained Luke most of the time, so I actually got to practice with the choir.

Then, we walked back home, got ready for church, packed a bunch of toys and snacks, ate lunch and I took the advice from my mother-in-law and we said a prayer before we left, asking for Heavenly Father's help to help us get through church, by being a good listener to mommy and staying on our bench, while daddy's away.

Well, I think my prayers were more than answered! Luke miraculously fell asleep on the way to church!! I thought for sure he'd wake up when I took him in, but he was out cold. I was also worried I wouldn't find a good spot to sit, because we got there right as it was starting and I was hoping to sit by someone who could watch Luke while the choir sang and somewhere that I could easily escape if needed. It was like my bench was reserved for me, in between two great families that would have helped me if I needed it. Shortly after I got there, our good friends (who Luke absolutely adores and is a perfect angel for when they sit with us at church) came and sat on the same bench as us. But Luke was out cold and actually slept under the bench on the hard floor for almost the ENTIRE meeting! I was even able to go up and sing with the choir without him waking up. It was great! I didn't have to pull out anything from my bag for him. I was actually able to enjoy the meeting and feel the spirit! Whahoo! He hasn't slept through sacrament meeting since he was a baby, it was a miracle.

Then he was off to nursery (which he only got kicked out of once, that's an improvement!) and I was able to go to Primary. It was just great.

After church, Luke completed (not entirely on his own, with my guidance) his Noah's Ark 100 piece puzzle from his Sunday box, helped me cook dessert (I have a bad habit of making (this) dessert before dinner) and then make (this) dinner. We played some more, ate dinner, daddy came home, our home teachers came over and then it was bedtime.

By the end of the night I was exhausted, but so grateful that my prayers were answered and that I survived the day on my own. Normally, I don't think it would be such a big deal, but I'm really not a fan of disciplining and wrestling a pretty strong 2 1/2 year old these days, especially being so pregnant.

4 comments:

Emily said...

I'm so glad it all worked out so well. I thought about you as I got ready for church in the morning. Good luck this week.

Shawny said...

So glad everything went so smoothly!

Meg said...

It is really amazing how things always work out. I was so nervous to fly back from Utah alone with McKelle, and I was having really bad cramping that day, so I had my dad give me a blessing before I left. The seat next to us on the plane was empty, my cramping was minimal and McKelle was out cold for half the flight! I just love when things like that happen, don't you?

Janelle said...

Definitely sounds tender mercy-ish.