I've recently taken a big interest in some good things (for once! jk).
I want to learn more about food storage, bulk it up, rotate and use it more often and eat and make healthier meals. I have been reading up on gardening, because we're going to be starting our first garden soon and I am SO excited about it! I know nothing (sorry mom, I never really paid much attention. Except for when I couldn't find you in the mornings, I figured you were out in the garden....) about it and want to learn as much as I can, with hopes that I will have success this year! I can't wait to go pickin' out on the farms this summer. I want to learn how to can fruits and vegetables this year. I'm excited to do a farmers market-type program this summer (it promotes healthier eating around here).
The other morning Luke and I pulled out the Nutrimill to grind some wheat, since we were out and we needed more bread. I love my wheat grinder. It is amazing. It doesn't just grind wheat it blasts it. It's awesome. It grinds much more than wheat, but I've always been too chicken to do anything else.
There's nothing like fresh, warm, whole wheat flour. It smells so good.
Well, after grinding the wheat, I almost ran out to the store to buy some cornmeal that I needed that day, and the thought occurred to me, "why not grind up your own?!" So I did some research beyond the users manual (because I was scared!). I threw in some popcorn in and viola! It was beautiful!
We love cornbread and Matt only likes a special kind that his mom makes. I read that if you grind your own cornmeal it tastes way better than store bought. It does have a much more vibrant color and tasted better.
Just to compare. The whiter cornmeal, on the bottom was store bought.
After that, I wanted to grind up everything I had that my grinder could take!
Well, I didn't, but now I am much more excited to learn more ways to use different grains in my cooking and baking.
Well, I didn't, but now I am much more excited to learn more ways to use different grains in my cooking and baking.
I'm also on this Quinoa kick. If you haven't seen/heard about the recipes I posted on our family food blog, you've gotta try them. Here's the link. Search for "quinoa." The stew is my favorite!
As I learn more, I will post more! I think it's so fun to learn new things, especially when they are so valuable to know!
2 comments:
I'm so sad, I bought all of the ingredients for that Mexican Quinoa dish, and I haven't been able to find the quinoa yet :( I'm gonna keep lookin' though :) That cornmeal looks delicious! I need to try that- send me the cornbread recipe- is it healthy at all?
I loved your cornbread! If you are ok with sharing the recipe, could I have it?
Post a Comment