Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Little projects

Well, they are minor projects, but I don't know if little is the best word to use considering the amount of time that went into them. I know some people don't care about these kinds of posts, but we're really just posting them because our moms and sisters ask about them...so here they are!

This first one makes me SO HAPPY! 
Matt "built" me a pantry!!! I know that most of you are thinking, "whoppie, everyone has a pantry," but out here in Cleveland that is clearly not the case. Most of these old houses don't have any kind of pantry or closet in the kitchen. In our apt we had to use one of those big ugly utility racks for our food. I hated how it was always out in the open and that everyone could see what we ate (is that weird?). Anyway, when we got here we were still planning on using the same rack, even though I really didn't want to. But we have this little closet off the side of our kitchen and decided to put shelves in it and I LOVE IT! Good-bye ugly black rack, hello pantry that hides all of our food.

Before:

After:
Notice the little door in the back of the closet? That's our laundry shoot or "intercom" (because there is one on each floor) whichever one you prefer, either way it's so nice to have! 

Food!

I'd say this was a much bigger and much more expensive project...our curtains for our bay window.
For weeks, since I knew we were buying this house, I tried to figure out what I was going to do with this window. We knew it'd be expensive, but it had to be done considering you can see our whole first floor through it. 
We were lucky enough to get some nice looking rods at JoAnn's for 80% off! It was weird because you had to cut them down to the size you needed (with a hand saw), but it worked out perfectly for us. We were able to customize them to fit our window perfectly. We got them for two other windows by our stairs and two windows in the master bedroom. I'll have to post pics of those later, because those ones are beautiful! 

These aren't great pictures, but you get the idea. This was before we painted. The yellow was fine, it just was too much for my curtains and other furniture/colors in the room. 
The curtains open:
And closed, and a freshly painted room!
You probably can't tell the color that well, but it's Mushroom Bisque, if that helps. Haha, it's a darker shade of tan I guess you could say. We love the way the walls turned out. Now we just need to get some things hung on them!
We are planning on getting two big book shelves in there, eventually, possibly recovering the green chairs, adding a love seat and removing one chair, and replacing the coffee table....at some point. :)
I love how the curtains hang on the floor.
 Matt did an awesome job of putting this all together.
He's quite proud of the rods, so he wanted me to take a close up.
Today he spent the entire day cleaning out or hobbit garage and doing yard work, while Luke and I played and vegged at the pool. He's the best.

The biggest project of all...is still coming along.
Hello third trimester!
Today I'm 26 weeks.
Baby is doing great, I'm not gaining too much weight (hooray!), but I still feel like I am getting huge.
Feet are swelling, cravings are out of control, and someone is very excited about the world cup and wants to play too (and it's not Matt).
Hello belly.

4 comments:

Emily said...

It looks so great! Love the curtains/curtain rod. You look great too! Hope you're able to get some rest with all that is going on.

Shawny said...

Looks Great! You guys have done so much work already!!!

Karlie Ann Ady said...

You're an inspiration. I can't wait to see you.

Andrea said...

I can't get over how much I love your house! It makes me want to come to Cleveland for dental school just for the beautiful homes. haha. Great job with the curtains. They look so good and I love how they bunch a little on the floor.