I am 27 weeks pregnant and it's all starting to hit me that I am going to have to give birth sooner than I think. Since I've been so busy with everything I haven't thought much about being pregnant.
Matt asked me the other day if I wanted to try to go with out the epidural this time around. Of course, I laughed at him and thought he was insane. But it seems like everyone I talk to lately tells me how amazing and quick recovery is when you do it naturally and how they never want an epidural again. Again, I always thought they were crazy...but now I'm actually considering it, or playing around with the idea.
When I had Luke I didn't receive my epidural until I was dilated just past an 8. I almost couldn't even have it, but it did make a huge difference in actually giving birth. However, I am dreading recovery more than anything! And this is why I am considering doing it naturally.
So, for those of you with strong opinions either way I want to hear them! And those of you who have done it naturally I would love to hear why you wanted to do it and if there are any good books or websites that you recommend me looking at. Because if I do decide to do it, I think I need to commit before I get there and be prepared.
10 comments:
Seriously, don't do it! I've heard so many women that tried it say they wished they hadn't because they couldn't even pay attention to the birth, they were in so much pain. I just feel like, if you can have it at least for when you're pushing, then you can actually watch and pay attention to the experience and what is going on. I've also seen lots of natural births on TLC (ha ha) and they all scare me to death. The women are like swearing and freaking out. It's crazy. So there's my opinion for you. But, at the same time- the second always goes faster, so I've heard. You may only be in severe pain for like an hour or so if you're lucky.
I have to say the idea is intruiging because part of me just wants to know I can do it old school. My biggest concern is that if a C-section was needed and I didn't already have an epi- it might waste precious time. That's an extreme worry I realize but still...something to think about. I think the techniques people use to do it natural have validity, but my last epidural was so perfect and I enjoyed the experience so much that I'd be nervous to do it any differently. Of course, if my next labor isn't induced- I might not get the choice. We could be birthin at home if the next baby comes any faster than Dean!
Well Mary - you invited strong answers so watch out.
Nothing bothers me more than the oh-so-natural birthers pushing it on you. I consider my boys epi's and Lydia was my natural. EVEN though I had and epidural with her, like you I was too far gone and when it did work it was only on my left side after I had endured labor and delivery. However, if I hadn't had the epidural, the manual DNC they had to do (since the placenta tore into pieces) would have been, as the Doctors said "Way worse than childbirth".
So anyway, I for one think if we have something as fabulous as an epidural to ease what is commonly known as the worst pain ever, I'd say do if you can, but I'm not going to judge you either way.
Oh, and don't over think that part of having this baby cause it only last a moment. Don't freak yourself out.
I think it's different for every situation. some women were just made to have babies with no problem, but they're usually over 5'8" and have normal sized babies (7 lb). i have considered trying natural child birth, but britton was 9 lbs, so was bryce, and i was at least 8.5. I don't think i'll be able to do it because that's just too big a baby for an average sized girl. i have friends that have tried hypno birth and "prepared their minds" for months before birth, and all of them ended up with epis... haha. i'd say if you want to do it, go for it, but you're teeny and i just don't think natural child birth works well for little people!
I wanted to try and have my first natural. I have a very high tolerance to pain and thought it would be totally bearable. But when the baby was face up and I had HORRIBLE back/butt pain, I just knew I'd never be able to handle it. Then when I labored all day and night and had to have an emergency c-section I was so thankful I chose to have an epi. What a waste it would have been to have been in so much pain for nothing! So what I'm saying, try it and if it doesn't go well for you, take drugs! :)
My mom who had no option and had 7 naturally laughs any time she hears these modern women say they want to do it naturally. She just shakes her head in disbelief and asks, "Why on earth would they want to do that?!"
DONT DO IT!! =) Get a C-section, its freaking sweet. I swear I am the only one that I know of that had a really good recovery. Do you know my friend Maris (Arce) Youd? She is due the same day as Dani and she is doing hypno-birthing. I am not quite sure what is consists of but I know she doesnt want an epidural. I loved mine, I think it is God's gift to a woman in labor!!
The anesthesia they used when I had my c-section wasn't an epidural. It was similar, but it wasn't the same thing. Mine was pretty much an emergency c-section, and everything was fine. Everyone is different, but if you had to have an emergency c-section, the idea that they'd "waste time" putting the anesthesia in isn't really valid.
If you decide you want to do it naturally, I say go for it -- more power to you! But don't close your mind to the idea that you can get an epidural if you think you just can't handle it anymore. Yes, women have been birthing children for thousands of years without artificial drugs, but if you have the opportunity, don't cut yourself off from it.
Oh, and for the previous commenter, I had a fabulous recovery from my c-section.
Be prepared... this may be long! :) Okay so I was about 32 weeks prego when I decided I may want to do it natural and pretty much can say that I felt really unprepared. So I think if you want to do it get your self prepared. I have a bunch of stuff you can read mostly from the Bradly birthing method if you want and I've heard the Hypno stuff is really good too. Since I see you enough I can just talk to you about my reasoning, but really its totally up to you. I think there is really no shame in getting an epidural, I did it mostly for the baby, but let me tell you the recovery was amazing, after I had Max I was ready to run a marathon, and couldn't sleep for a few hours because I was so pumped up. My sis was having a baby just before me and got me thinking of the idea and one thing she said was this really cool quote that of course I can't remember word for word but something about how child birthing is what we were made to do and we are strong enough, even though the world thinks we need the easy way out. Anyway it was good so I can get that for you too. Really whatever you decide is awesome because you are bringing a beautiful baby in this world and that is awesome! We'll chat soon, if you want!
My advice is brief: get an epidural and enjoy having a baby instead of enduring pain. Enough said!
The second baby is usually an easier delivery than the first. My experience with Jack was horrible. I got the epidural late and pushed for a long time. My experience with Anderson, was WONDERFUL!! I got an epidural right when the contractions started to get uncomfortable. Thumbs up to those who can handle the pain, but I had a great recovery with Anderson and was also able to enjoy the whole experience of having him. I didn't even feel like I had a baby. I had such a great experience with Anderson and would not do it the other way if someone paid me to. :)
Good luck deciding!!
Post a Comment