Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Trying to pass the time

Only one day to go...almost 24 hours exactly. 
I've done a really good job at not getting toooo excited or nervous for the Match. Now that it's tomorrow, I feel that I can finally get REALLY excited (and nervous). It's like Match Eve (it feels like Christmas in March).
Luke and I have been trying to pass the time today and yesterday. 
Here are just a few of the things we've done.


Luke LOVES to help. He is always usually a good helper. He loves to help in the kitchen especially. "I wanna help mom do dishes. I wanna help mom do dinner." It's been good and bad. The good part is it gives him something to do (and me more to do). He always wants to wear an apron, which has nicely taken place of the bib that he refuses to wear. So,  I decided to make him his own and he LOVES it.
Here he is sporting his new turtle apron.
He's a goof ball. 

His newest favorite thing to do is color with markers! I normally wouldn't let him color with them, but I've come up with a good way to contain him in one spot and not make too much of a mess. 

I rolled out a big roll of paper (it's actually scotch packing paper, butcher can be expensive), on our little "pub" table in our kitchen. I buckle him in his chair that hooks on to the table. Put an old shirt on him and let him go at it. He loved it...and so did I.
And then he learned how to do this...this is the part where it got a tad messy. They were washable...and most of it came off.
We also use crayons, colored pencils and I'll give him some stickers to stick on the paper. It's a great activity for him and not a big mess for me. Although, he'd rather stick all the stickers on his face and forehead than on the paper. 

We've also gone on plenty of walks, enjoy this spring weather, played outside, gone to the library and anything we can think of doing (without having a car) to pass the time. 

Oh, and my new favorite thing with this boy is that his attention span has finally expanded! We have a basket of wooden puzzles and he'll sit in his room and do puzzles for 30 minutes at least. And his gma Clark has spoiled him with tons of quiet books from her trips to Cambodia and Loas, now he'll finally sit down and do them all quietly for like 30 more minutes! It's perfect for me to take a shower and get ready for the day!

Watching this boy learn and grow is so much fun (and makes me really baby hungry, because he's just not a baby anymore!)

Oh and one more thing...

From the sleepy diaries of Luke:
I had to sneak the camera behind the door and get this picture...since you can tell he fell asleep, yet again, on the floor, but this time behind the door. Funny kid.

4 comments:

Janelle said...

I love his apron! Did you use a pattern, or just make it up? Julie likes to wear my aprons, so I want to make one for her, too. I like the fabric you picked out -- very cute, but very boyish, still.

Unknown said...

Cute kid! Great idea on the containment unit too. I may steal that one. Your apron turned out super adorable.

Katie Blacker said...

so excited for you guys about Match day! Looks like you have been keeping busy! love his little apron.

Meg said...

we can't wait to find out where you're going! i've had it marked on my calendar ever since you told us the date- so be sure to let us know!