Thursday, March 18, 2010

Cleveland ROCKS!

Well, most people know by now, but for those of you who don't know....
we're staying in Cleveland!
It was a huge shocker to us, but we I quickly got over it and am actually really happy.

Matt matched at the Cleveland Clinic/Metro Health program. It's a really great program and ranked number 6 in the nation for gynecology, which is great. We made our rank list according to location mainly, because we knew Matt would get great training anywhere. If we hadn't spent the past 4 years here we would have ranked Cleveland probably in our top three, but we were just looking for a new adventure-outside of Cleveland. And from what we have heard today, it sounds like OB/Gyn was pretty darn competitive this year, especially in the west.

I have to say that today has been the weirdest day of our lives! We were completely shocked when we opened our letter. In fact we got out of there pretty quickly...because I was just a tad upset. :) Frosty and fries do wonders for me when I am sad! haha. After the frosty and after taking it all in for about an hour we decided to make some calls. Our family and friends seemed a little shocked, but overall very happy for us (and thankful we didn't match in Hawaii)-which was so nice to hear.

After we got over the fact that we're committed to Cleveland for the next four years, we starting noticing all the great things about it here. I think the winter just really got to me this year and made me feel super trunky to get out of here-as you could tell by several of my recent posts. 

Enough said, here are the positive things about staying:
  • We're going to buy a house! Yippee!
  • We won't be a one car family! Yay for me again! 
  • We'll be close to Meg & Dave (in DC).
  • Doug & Katie (Matt's bro & wife) might move to NY!
  • And close to other friends all over the East. 
  • We have a great network of friends, that we didn't want to leave behind-and now we don't have to!
  • We have a great ward, we don't want to move out of. 
  • We know and are comfortable with the area here. 
  • We love all the seasons of the year (except winter of course!) here. 
  • I'll have plenty of help after our baby comes from friends, since Matt will be extremely busy for pretty much the rest of the time here. I am so thankful for this one!
  • We don't have to move across country & start everything all over again.
  • This will give my family more chances to come to Cleveland (no more excuses you guys!)...haha.
That's all I can think of now, but I feel like this is where we are suppose to be. 
So, I guess this is what I get for trashing on Cleveland the past few months, but we're happy anyway!

10 comments:

Meg said...

We are so excited that you guys are sticking around! We will have so much fun this summer! And... I'm so thrilled that we would be able to see your new baby!! (much sooner than if you had been in Hawaii). P.S. I'm glad we made top three in your list of positives about staying, he he!

Steve said...

Okay in your defense, YOU haven't been ragging on Cleveland so much as just pointing out it making some top 10 lists. Also, according to your weather widget you're actually warmer right now than we are. So that's good. I'll start looking for airfare now. When's your baby due again?

Kat said...

Something i've always admired about you is you always find the positive side of things. I think I would just mope around feeling sorry for myself for the next four years.

Steve said...

That last comment was mandy not steve

Janelle said...

When I talked to you earlier, I thought maybe you were still a little in denial, but trying to put on a good face. This convinces me otherwise. You sound like you're really looking at the good things, which is great. I'm sure next winter will be a tough one for you (new baby and not thinking you were going to be here again), but after that I bet you'll be completely over it. Especially with a house and a car. :) I'm really glad you guys are staying.

paigernate said...

there are 'positives' to cleveland. i think we have ALL had to make a list of them at one point (or two or three) while living here (i can send you mine and we can compare lol). you forgot to add Dr Reider to your list :) there are some huge perks of staying so that is always nice.... and now i'll get to see that new baby of yours. congrats on getting into a super competitive program.

Sarah Palfreyman said...

I was thinking about you all day yesterday! Somehow you end up where you are supposed to be. I am glad you are staying and I think having a baby in a familiar place is a huge advantage. See you soon!

Katie Blacker said...

i know i already commented on facebook but, i am so glad you are going to be here. I can understand why you would be disappointed but i know things happen for a reason. All you can do is look for the good. A new house is an awesome place to start! that is so exciting!

Marilyn said...

Yay! We love you guys! Cleveland is actually a really great place to live. I don't mind it myself. ;)

Justin and Stacey said...

Mary, thanks for adding me to your blog. I loved your "Plus List" for Cleveland. Let me add a couple more... Dr. Reider. HUGE plus! Cleveland has so many good parks to go to. I LOVE all the kids parks and Metro parks. Kirtland (at least I love it). It is so BEAUTIFUL here (except in the winter). A great ward. Chagrin Falls (one of my favorite places to go). and I could go on and on. I have loved it here and I'm glad to hear you will be sticking around :) Congrats on matching. What a huge relief and a great feeling to be moving on to the next chapter of medical school. You guys are great!