
The second stop spot on our New York itinerary was Alexandria Bay, NY in the 1000 Island region. Unfortunately the weather wasn't great, it was still beautiful! This
little town is a happening place during the summer, since we caught it at the
end of the season it was quiet and peaceful.

When we arrived, our hotel ended up being pretty nasty or for those of you who know what I'm talking about, "Pocahontas-style. " We had reserved two King rooms with a kitchen in between, when we got there they said, "sorry we'll have to put you in a different room, the other room's roof just collapsed." We checked out the other rooms, our toilet was half sunken into the floor and my parents room's furniture looked like it had been pulled out of the water.
It was right on the water which was kind of cool, I guess.
The pic above of Matt is on the boardwalk.
It didn't take long for my dad to cancel our reservation and we headed to a much more comfortable hotel. Thanks dad!

Yep, that's the luxurious "hotel" ???
YIKES!
Well after the hotel mess was cleared up we took a boat out to Heart Island to visit Boldt Castle.

Luke's first boat ride!

Boldt Castle was owned by George C. Boldt, he owned several luxurious hotels such as the Waldorf Hotel. He was married with two children. They bought this island to build their dream house (castle). The theme was love, because he loved his wife so much, there are hearts all over the island. Traggedy struck, his wife died in her late 40's. He was heart broken, and left the castle, which wasn't quite finished (it had about a year left) and never returned. He gave it to his children and they sold it. Now NY state owns it.

The only way to access the island is by boat, obviously! The pic above is the house for the yachts. Your boats need houses too, right?

This building was the Play House.
Sweet playhouse eh?

(playhouse above)

Oh and this house/tower was for the doves.

The castle was beautiful.
It had I think 127 rooms!

Oh and last but not least the pic below is the powerhouse.

After we toured the castle we were went to dinner at this fish and steak house floating on the river, it was way cool. My dad was craving some good fish, even though he got steak. For those of you who don't know I LOOOOVE STEAK!!! And since we are poor Med students I've had it like twice since we've been married, so this was a treat for me. I got the Admirals Cut Prime Rib, it was
HUGE. Matt said it was the biggest piece of steak he's ever seen served. It was about
3 1/2 inches thick and probably 7 or 8 inches wide and 4 or 5 long (or tall). It was just the right pink and so juicy and SOOO GOOOOO!!!!! Ah, I'm dreaming about it now.
Anyway I ate the whole thing, believe it or not. Along with the baked potato, the bread and dessert. Matt said he hadn't seen me eat like that since I was pregnant. (I'm not by the way)
It was the best steak I ever had. If anyone ever visits Alexandria Bay you've gotta go to that restaurant.
3 comments:
This is way cool! I've never even heard of it before, but sounds like a fun place to go see. You guys do so many fun little trips- I love it! I hope we do that when we move out of state.
Wow, Mary that is one cool castle. If we get out to visit you guys we have to go there! That looks like a great trip! Wish we could have been there. By the way, you look great! and Luke is such a cuite!....Matt's not to bad either:) (couldn't leave him out)
Take care, I hope we see you this Christmas! Love you!!
I've never heard of it either but it's beautiful! Did Luke get sea sick on the boat? If I remember correctly, Matt was famous for getting motion sickness!
Post a Comment