Friday, August 1, 2008

Help...I need some ZZZzzzzzzzzzzzz!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, this is a cry for help. Since we went on our trip to Utah Luke has been a big stinker sleeper! Since he was born he's slept through the night great. This past week he's been waking up 6-8 times! He is six months so we know it could be he's hungry, hot, cold, teething, separation anxiety...anything I guess. We've been trying really hard to get him on a schedule where he goes down at like 8pm, and he will go to sleep, but if he's not really drowsy he crys and crys when we leave the room. I'm waiting for a book from the library about getting your kid good sleep on a good schedule...in the mean time does anyone have any good advice???

10 comments:

Maddy said...

some people are against it, and for the most part, I thought I was too. Then, when we moved to my in-laws I knew quiet was going to be hard to come by and I knew we had to get britton on a sleep schedule and he had to do it himself. So, we did cry it out. he cried for like an hour and a half staight the first night we did it and I felt HORRIBLE, but we knew he was fine, he wasn't hungry, his diaper was changed, he was just learning to fall asleep and stay asleep on his own. We did it for about 4 days and every night the time would be less and less. Just make sure to have a night light in the room. but now after doing that he goes to bed without crying. that's my advice.... but i don't know if you've done that with luke or not already... :)

Janelle said...

Yes, it could be any of those things (teething, etc.), but my guess is just that he's really thrown off. You've been traveling a lot and he's been in foreign places. You also mentioned to me on Sunday that he's starting separation anxiety. That may be why he crys for so long when you leave the room...he doesn't understand permanence yet and is worried that you walking out the door of his room means you're leaving him. I would highly recommend that you purchase a copy of the AAP's book on sleep. It covers birth through adolescence, so it's not like you'll be done using it once this problem is over. It's the only sleep book we've referenced so far.

Emily said...

I'm so sorry Mary, it's really hard when they've been such a good sleeper and then they change. I was no good with Julia and would get her the minute she would cry, but that proved not helpful for a couple years of bad sleeping habits. But, I just make sure I know they are full of food and maybe tylenol if he has teeth coming in and then put him down for bed. When my kids cry, I just go into the other room and cry too, cause I hate to hear it. Sawyer cried himself to sleep in Utah for 3 weeks, but I knew if I let up once he would keep up the crying. Good luck, it's a hard thing, but he'll get back to normal soon.

Rachel said...

I wish I had some good advice. . .but I don't. McKay was finally sleeping through the night, but this week he's been getting up at 2am almost every night. I think it's because he's falling asleep earlier than before and when I try to wake him to eat, he doesn't eat much. I, too, am trying to figure out a schedule, especially for naps. If you learn any secrets, please share. :) Good luck!!!

Jenny & Brandon said...

Well sis,I know this seems mean but I say let him cry for a good 15min before you do anything. We found that to be the best thing for our kiddos. They would then learn to calm themselves down and get back to sleep.
When you do go into the room try laying him down and just rubbing his back, sing a soothing song, or for Nick I just say SHHHHH, in a nice way:) That seems to work for us, we found with Lexi we would cater to her EVERY need and it just made her more demanding, and us more irritable. Good luck, I hope you get some sleep!

Kat said...

I'm also for the cry it out. It is so hard though but it works. I also have a book you can borrow if you want.

Janelle said...

I have another piece of advice. Luke may just be changing his sleep schedule because he's getting tired earlier, and wants to go to bed earlier. Instead of 8:00, try 7:45 for a couple of nights, then back it up to 7:30 and see how he does. It may just be that he's overtired by 8:00 now.

Andrea said...

I wish I had some great advice but Jocelyn isn't sleeping good either right now. A couple of nights ago she slept 12 hours straight! But yesterday she only took one 30 minutes nap and then woke up every 3 hours last night. At this age it's so hard cause it could be anything. I've been reading a book called "Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child" I haven't gotten far yet but if I find any good advice that works I'll pass it on. I hate doing the cry it out, but it worked at one point so I just need to get up the strength to do it again. Good luck Mary! :)

Telitha said...

Hey Mary, I'm sorry about the rough nights... the month before James got his first tooth he was up every two hours, in fact before he got his last molars he was up a lot (even though he was almost 2!). The good thing though is it's probably just a phase... it may seem like it lasts forever, but it doesn't. Mark won't go to sleep by himself now and I think he's starting to teeth so I rock him to sleep and put him down. Good luck! Oh, and my favorite pic was the three babies at lydia's blessing! SOOO cute!

Daisy said...

Totally of the subject of sleep..... HOLY COW I was shock to see that one of my young women was married to someone I went to high school with CRAZY!!!! So after I thought about it you really aren't that much younger then me it is just wierd that I taught you as a young women. Well thing look like they are going great for you, congrats on your new member he is to cute. Anyhow it is fun looking at your pictures and seeing what you are up to these day.