Thursday, August 7, 2008

City Fresh in the Ghetto

For all you Clevelanders, there is this pretty nice "program" called City Fresh. Last summer we knew about it because Matt did research with this group. Each week local farmers provide fresh produce at a very low price, anyone can sign up. If you make below a certain level you get half price, so poor students like us get a half share for 5 bucks, which is everything you see in the picture. You can also get a full share of produce which would be double what you see in the picture. If you don't qualify for the low income level you pay 10 bucks (for a half share or 20 for a full share) which is still a great deal, the other day I payed 5 dollars just for a bag of grapes at the store. The only thing is you never know what you'll get, it just depends what's on the season. You don't get fruit very often we've only gotten melons & apples, but we always get plenty of veggies which is great! If anyone in the area is interested click here. There are a few different locations around Cleveland and you have to pick it up at a certain time, in a specific location, during certain hours...but it really is a great deal and it's all organic! It's ends the end of September I belive. Next year I'm going to start it at the beginning of the summer and see if anyone in the ward or neighborhood is interested and try and get a group of people to sign up and I'll pick it up and eveyone can just come and get it from my house if they wanted. Anyway, we really like doing it, it helps us eat a bigger variety of veggies we probably wouldn't normally get, it's a great deal and it's healthy!
While we were there picking up our food yesterday, we went to a location on Buckeye (really pretty ghetto, not the safest place) we went there because that's where the people Matt worked with were (but there are other, safer locations). When we got out of the car across the street a bunch of older teens were yelling, swearing and fighting with each other. No one that was there really noticed too much, then a few minutes later right across the street and around the corner we heard about 7 or 8 gun shots and 3 or 4 kids were running away from around the corner. The ladies that were working where we were getting our food started yelling, "Gun shots! Get under the tables!!" over and over. But right then it stopped and we were watching and nothing else was going on, one lady there called the cops. Me and Matt were both really scared, it was like you see in the movies, it was really scary!

2 comments:

Telitha said...

Oh my gosh that is sooooo scary! I'm glad you all are safe! I wish I'd known about the city fresh program before our last year:) But if we're still here next year at least I know about it for then!

Kat said...

That is a lot of produce for only 5 bucks. I'll have to look in to that. As for the gun shots....that is why I hate living in Cleveland. Only 3 more years to go.