Sunday, August 3, 2008

Thanks for the Advice

Thanks everyone who commented on my blog, it was very helpful! I was able to get a book called "Solve Your Child's Sleep Problems," a doctor Matt is working with recommended it. We found what we needed and tried it for the first time last night and it worked great!!!! What a blessing! Luke slept from 8:30pm-8:30am! I still didn't sleep that well because I kept waking up and being surprised that he was still asleep.

What we did was basically wait it out, the book said to take away any sleep associations that he needed to fall asleep, but wouldn't be there if he woke up in the middle of the night like a binki, me, or matt, us rocking him to sleep or holding him. The crib was the last thing he needs to see before he falls asleep. We were supposed to do a bedtime routine, so we gave him a bath, fed him, read him a book, cuddled for a minute and then put him in bed. After 3 minutes of crying we were to go in rub his back for 2 min and leave, come back 5 minutes later, then 10, then 12 and so on. After the 10 minute one he almost had it, we rubbed his back walked out and he rolled onto his side and was out cold! So hopefully it will continue to work and I think it will.

Thanks everyone!!!!

4 comments:

Janelle said...

Yeah, the routine is important. We've been doing one with Julie already for a month or so, even though she's only just now really starting to develop memory. Routines really help at bedtime. And the crying it out thing works best when you do it like you did. Go in and reassure him, but at progressively longer intervals, and not picking him up, just soothing him. Glad you got some sleep!

Unknown said...

Wahoo! Yeah Mary!
It's always a relief when you finally see some good come, especially with your first kid -when you really don't feel like you know what you're doing. Hopefully it continues to be so easy :)
And don't worry about tonight, if he repeats sleeping through the night I'm sure you won't budge. Exhaustion usually helps me get back to my sleeping pattern.
Have a nice Sunday...

Marilyn said...

That is sweet that you guys are already reading to him even though I am sure he doesn't understand any of it yet. That is sweet. I am glad you were able to get him to rest for what 12 hours? That is impressive!

Kat said...

What a good kid. He responded to that quickly it seems. Lets hope he keeps it up.