Sunday, September 19, 2010

This old house...

While I'm on the topic of our house, here are some funny and not-so-funny things we've experience or found in our 70 year old house.....

  • We found a sock inside the drain, on our basement floor...and the drain was filled with larvae, like hundreds of larvae....it was DISGUSTING!!!! 
  • We also had a sock in our sump pump...what's with the socks?
  • We tried to use our laundry shoot and realized it was jammed with something. So, Matt shoved a long box down it and there was a bunch of old clothes, sheets and underwear!!! GROSS! No one has lived here for 2 years....so it sat there a while. 
  • With a vacant old house, we've had hundreds and hundreds of spiders. We've sprayed and killed so many, and it's helped, but it has been really gross and annoying to have so many nasty bugs around here. 
  • Our mail comes through our house, like through a mail slot and slides into a compartment in our closet. I told Luke to get the mail once and he said, "No! There's a bug!" I didn't think anything of it since we have tons of bugs. Later that day I went to get the mail and there was a 2 inch bee that had come through our mail slot! I trapped it in the closet and made Matt deal with it later that day. 
  • Our garage has mice (thankfully our house doesn't).
  • And the most recent one happened yesterday. It's a great story. Matt had a week off, since we had the baby and yesterday he had to go back and do a 27ish hour shift. Well, in the morning I went down stairs to get the vacuum that was in the laundry room. I heard something fall and it scared me (I'm not a big fan of basements for some reason) so I stopped and listened. Then I heard more sounds, like something moving around in there. I knew there was some kind of critter in there! Like a chipmunk maybe or something. I closed the door and didn't dare go in. Later I could hear sounds coming from the basement, through the vents. It was creepy and of course it had to happen when Matt would be gone until the next day. Matt called and I told him about it and he thought I was crazy. He just figured I was having some kind of postpartum-craziness or something (he had a patient with postpartum hallucinations that said she saw bunnies hopping down the halls of the hospital...hehhee). I am NOT crazy. In fact, I feel great for just having had a baby! So this morning he comes home, goes in the basement and SURE ENOUGH there is a dead bird on the floor!!! We figured it came down our chimney (we need to get a chimney screen). There is dust, gunk and feathers all over our laundry room. I'm just glad that I really am not going crazy. And that it was just a bird, and that I shut the door. I would have been super freaked out if it came up the stairs and was trapped in our house!

Ah, we still love this old house.

3 comments:

Shawny said...

I can't believe that happened to you too! A few months after we moved here, Rex came running out of the basement yelling that there was a bird in our utility room. Sure enough, there was a live bird flying around. It was quite a sight trying to get it out. I called the animal control and they told me they'd come get it out for a mere $135 dollars. Uh, no thanks. He said that it was probably a European Starling. They are known for coming in through the chimney and getting into some kind of hole where the furnace attaches. Anyway, do get a screen. We had bird poop and feathers everywhere. Wild birds are so disgusting! I'm glad all you had to do was scoop yours up and dispose.

Janelle said...

One of my first blog posts was a bird in our house. What is it with this area, I guess?

Kellie said...

That is insane! Two year old underwear. EW!! I will be alternately laughing and thinking GROSS! for hours.