Sunday, February 19, 2012

The Ultimatum

While I was home in Utah, I laid down the final ultimatum to my family. I told them, I refused to move back to Utah until SOMEONE (besides my lovely parents) comes to visit me. I have lived in Cleveland for 5 years and not once have I had a family member from my side of the family, besides my own parents, visit us. They've never seen how gorgeous Ohio can be throughout the year (aside from winter). They've never been to my house or seen where my husband works. From the moment I married Matt, almost 5 years ago, they have never seen how/where/what OUR life is like, other than our travels to Utah. 

I know that Ohio is far away and can be expensive to travel to, but it probably won't be long before we don't live here anymore and you're chance is gone. I am so used to hearing "We're planning a trip out there....oh wait, we're going somewhere else instead," or "We want to come...but..." And then the typical..."give me some good reasons why I should come out there?" Ummm....maybe because you're little sister and her family lives there, is a start?

Anyway, I've decided I'm going to start blogging a little bit about reasons why my family needs to visit us, or rather, all the things there are to do if you come out here.

Aside from the most important reason why you should come, that WE live here and you should want to see us, there are so many church sites and they aren't all that far away.


First of all, I am in the Kirtland Stake, therefore I don't live very far from Kirtland (about 20 mins). What's so important about Kirtland? Well, here are just a few reasons: the church was organized in Kirtland, the Kirtland Temple was the first temple built in this dispensation, the Lord appeared (more than once) to Joseph Smith and Oliver Cowdery in the Kirtland Temple, accepting His house. Priesthood keys were then restored through three ancient prophets: Moses, the keys to the gathering of Israel; Elias, the dispensation of the gospel of Abraham; and Elijah, the sealing keys. And other prophets appeared there. During the weeks surrounding the dedication of the Kirtland Temple, the Saints experienced an outpouring of heavenly manifestations, which included the appearance of angels and the Saints seeing visions, uttering prophecies, and speaking in tongues.

Down the road from the temple is Historic Kirtland. Where the Newel K. Whitney Store, home, Inn and Mill are. It's all restored to the time period and missionaries are there to give tours. There is a great spirit felt there. And it's neat to see just how it was when the Saints lived there, while they were building the temple. 

Also, the John Johnson Farm is near by. That is where Joseph Smith lived for some time, receiving revelations that are written in the Doctrine and Covenants. That is where he was also tarred and feathered.

Those are the 2 big historical church sites that we hear about often when we study church history. I strongly believe that these places, along with the other church sites across the United States (esp. Palmyra, NY and Nauvoo, IL) need to be seen at least once in your life. We can learn so much from the early saints of our church. I have a love and appreciate for the sacrifices they made because of their faith.

No comments: