Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Utah Part I

I have several pictures I want to post from our Utah trip, so I'll do them in parts.

The reason we that we made a sudden trip home was because of the passing of Matt's Grandma Clark. It was definitely a bitter sweet occasion. She was 90 years old & had been very sick for the past 6 or 7 years, hardly speaking throughout those years due to Dementia.

Grandpa Clark is stilling going at the age of 108 years. When I met him over 3 years ago, he was still very sharp & on his feet, seeming quite independent for his age. However, he has been beginning to show his age the past year or so, & even though we didn't hear him talk too much, he still had such a charming way about him.

It was so nice to be home with family & to get to see most of the Clark relatives. I'm so thankful to be married into such a great family, I love them all!

Us, Meg & Dave, Rachel & Charlie all flew in around the same time on Thursday...first item of business was, of course...a SOCCER game! We all stopped to watch Matt's littlest sister, Adrienne's, HS soccer game & cheer her on, it was a lot of fun. We definitely had a full house at the Clark's that weekend with 17 of us there (we were missing 6 others).

Friday night we had the viewing in Orem. It was a very lovely funeral home. It was fun to see all the Clark cousin's. It was especially neat to see Grandpa Clark with his youngest sister LeOra who I believe just turned 101 years old.
We're not quite sure if Grandpa realized that Grandma had died, if he did, he may have forgotten quickly. At first I thought that was so sad, but after thinking about it I think if Matt died I'd rather not know, or forget quickly. That would definitely ease the pain at least.

Saturday morning (after a very early game of soccer) we had a very nice funeral service held at the church, with a luncheon following. Here we were able to snap this awesome 4 generation picture. The three doctor's. Maybe Luke will decide to be a doctor someday too? We'll see.
The burial took place in a lovely cemetery in Salt Lake City. Matt gave the dedicatory prayer & did a great job. I really like this picture of the grandsons as the pallbearers. It was a beautiful day.
Afterward we headed back to the Clark house to have a yummy BBQ & had a blast playing Chocu (sp?) on the tennis court. Sunday we all were able to go to church together (we were only missing Doug M, the kids & Cam-on his mission).

After church, Matt, Emily & Dave had to fly back. Matt had the "adventure" of sleeping over night in the airport. I was able to stay the next week & had a lot of fun with family & friends....

To be continued.

1 comment:

Kellie said...

We're glad to have you back and that the funeral went well. See you Sunday!