Monday, April 14, 2008

The Aldi Experience



This past weekend was great Matt was home the whole weekend, we had Stake Conference, enjoyed some Monk, we watched Enchanted (my absolute favorite) oh and apparently there were tornado warnings a few miles west of where we are...we weren't harmed but it was pretty creepy.

Well on to the good stuff. So, I do my grocery shopping at Giant Eagle. It's nice, good location, you get fuel perks, they have pretty much everything I'm looking for, the prices aren't bad but I'll admit they are a little higher than some of the "discount" grocery stores around, but not as expensive as other whole food stores and other ones.

Anyway, my good friend has been telling me to go to Aldi's, she says they have way good prices and their produce is cheap. So I finally decide to give it a chance. I was about to go and looked it up online to find out where it was, well I had never been that way and as far as I knew it was in the ghetto, or sketchy part of town. So I decided to wait until Matt could come with me for the first time.

On Saturday morning we went there, after driving through a very ghetto part of town, but the shopping center wasn't too bad. First of all you have to deposit a quarter to get a shopping cart which is actually a good idea so they don't have to go out through the parking lot to round up all the carts. Once we're inside we were getting pretty excited about all the low prices, I was grabbing things left and right. I get to the milk...you may think we're weird but we drink Skim, and it was expired! Then we get to the produce and it was sweet! They had a pretty good selection and it was really good prices, we loaded up on produce. Well after going through my list there were a few things I couldn't find. They don't have a huge selection, it seems like they get what they get kinda thing. I started looking around and I realized we were the only white people in the store, so that was different. So we're checking out and I look over and see people bagging their food with bags they are pulling out of their pockets. Apparently, you have to bring your own bags or buy them, which was kind of weird and of course we didn't bring bags. Finally we are checking out and they don't take credit! What kind of grocery store doesn't accept credit or checks! Only cash or debit. Well we didn't have $60 in cash, and we both forgot all FOUR of our pin numbers! So we tried four different cards..nothing. No groceries for us.

Well they're like "Go to an ATM, we'll keep your cart here." So we're in this neighborhood were we don't know where anything is, we find an ATM and Matt tries over and over, different pins, everything. Then we see KeyBank, so he tries to go in and get cash out. It was 1:02..they closed at 1:00. So he tries the ATM there and one of my cards from Utah gets EATEN! I'm not kidding, that ATM machine ate my card. It printed a paper that said, "Your card has been retained, please contact your financial institution." And our other cards were "deactivated. In the meantime we were almost out of gas.

So after about 2 hours we decided to just go back to good ol' Giant Eagle. And did the whole grocery shopping thing over again.

It was a long morning.

By the way, I hate grocery shopping. But I think I'll stay true to Giant Eagle.

3 comments:

Janae said...

I was so excited to see that you have an Aldi close to you because I loved that store on my mission. When we were in Germany last summer we had one right around the corner that was awesome. But am I sad it was such a bad experience. However, it sounds so much like the European stores, coin to get your cart, be a bit cautious with things that can expire, and they only take cash :)Good old Aldi.

Maddy said...

oh man that is just miserable...

sara said...

Ok, so you need to give Aldi another chance. Don't give up on it just yet. Which store did you go to? You can come with me next time I go, you'll have a much better experience. I promise!! :)
It's worth the money savings to give it one more shot.
Although, Giant Eagle is nice and cushy. I just can't get over how much more I save at Aldi.