Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Our crazy, busy trip inside of a trip.

Yes, we are that family.
The kind of family who packs along an electric sandwich maker so we can have hot sandwiches at our hotel. It was quite fun actually. We got a great deal on Priceline to stay at the Marriott Hotel in downtown Philadelphia. I think Luke was the only child there. Everyone there had to have been on a business trip. When we pulled in at 4pm with our stroller loaded with all our baggage that the wheels were squeaking, Luke in pj's (because he barfed on the car ride, of course) & the both of us looking like we just sat in a long car ride for 7+ hours, everyone was sure to notice us!
BUT
Who cares! We had a nice hotel room & a lot of fun. See how yummy those sandwiches were? Mmmmm.

There was even an indoor pool. It was mainly a lap swim pool, but no one went swimming while we were there (probably because of Luke being the only child there), but the two times we went it was a blast! Luke had no fear of jumping into the pool....when we caught him anyway.
Luke even got his own bed!
Well he could have, but we stuck him in a crib...of which he kept climbing out of. Thursday while Matt took his 8 hr test, I ventured out into the city, just me & the boy.
We mainly just shopped all day, without spending money :)
I just had to take a picture of what the inside of this Macy's store looked like.
I know, I'm a nerd. But it was so cool!
Later I walked through this building. It was a cool building, but once I got to the other side the city didn't look so friendly, so I decided to turn around. Then I just happened to see the missionaries! I felt better, but still headed back to the safer looking side of town.
The next day we saw some of the history sites.
Here are a couple we saw.
The liberty bell.
We toured Independence Hall. Matt thought this was pretty cool.

We took a few pictures outside of Independence Hall. It's a beautiful building.
This is us (below) attempting to use the timer with our camera.
Have you ever been to any tourist spot & see a lot of foreign people & they are posing for a picture, all alone & they never smile & sometimes do a peace sign?
Well, we always see that & think it's kind of funny.
So we tried to do it too...you should too sometime, it's hard not to laugh.
Matt was pretty good at it.
I just look ticked.
Luke couldn't keep a straight face.
And he's almost got the peace sign down.

So cute!
We also saw Benjamin Franklin's grave, toured the Mint (where they make coins) & spent a lot of time eating yummy food at the Reading Terminal Market-highly recommended.

After a lot of going, Luke wiped out.
This is where it gets complicated.
A week & a half ago Matt's grandpa Clark died. He was only two months shy of turning 109!
The funeral services were Saturday. So Friday, after touring the sites, we flew out of Philadelphia & got home to Utah just after midnight.

Unfortunately, I only have TWO pictures from while we were there!
Here they are.
This one was when we were playing Kochu (sp?) on their tennis court. Always a fun game.
After fun & games we headed to Salt Lake where the funeral & burial was.
Afterwards we had a delicious luncheon.
Matt took this picture (notice my very bad posture).
I was busy taking pictures with his parent's camera for them, so I didn't catch any on mine. After the funeral, we hung out at Matt's house, played some games, ate some food & just chatted. It was so fun being with everyone.
Then on Sunday morning we visited my parents for an hour & jumped on a plane that took us, eventually, back to Phili. Whew! It was the shortest Utah trip EVER (sadly).

The next morning we slept in at our hotel & hit the road.
On the way back to Cleveland we visited the Hershey Chocolate Factory. Yum.
And you ask how did we spend over 14 hours in the car & over 12 hours on air planes, plus sitting in the airport with 2 out of 4 delayed flights....this is how.
A portable dvd player & Elmo, Luke's favorite.

It was a fast, fun trip & we were glad to be home, but it's nice to be back as well!
We'll be back in Utah in 6 weeks....we are always on the go.

5 comments:

Kellie said...

I love the picture of Luke making the peace sign!!

Janelle said...

I love the first and last photos. Luke's face in the first is so funny, and he looks so cute with the ginormous headphones on in the last one. I also loved the one of him in the bed. He looks like he's having so much fun.

Maddy said...

whew!!

Echo said...

Mary, that is one adorable little boy you have there! He probably gets away with a lot just from being so cute!

Marilyn said...

I love the pic with Luke in all those white fluffy pillows. Did you get a chance to get a Philly Cheese Steak while you were in the Motherland? Jason says they are amazing!